In this tutorial you will learn about the XML Introduction and its application with practical example.
The acronym XML stands for eXtensible Markup Language, the essence of XML is in its name:
Extensible: We can define our own custom tags based on type of information we want to store.
Markup : It uses the Markup Tags or elements.
Language: XML programming language like HTML , used to represent information in a structured manner.
XML is created by World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) in late 90’s with the sole purpose to represent, store and exchange information in structured and self describing manner.XML is a simple form of (or subset) of the Standard Generalized Markup Language (SGML) developed in 1970s for the large-scale storage of structured text documents.
XML is internationally recognized standard format for cross platform (Hardware and Software independent) information exchange.
- Excellent with the handling of structural information.
- Emphasis on descriptive rather than procedural markup.
- Text data description.
- Hardware and Software independent.
- Handles data in a tree structure with one-root element.
- Excellent for long-term data storage and data re usability.
- It supports a wide variety of applications.
- It is easy to learn XML and to create XML Document.
- XML Document can be used to store configuration information.
- XML Document can be used to store structural data or information.
- XML Documents can be used to transmit data between different application independent of platform.
A simple XML Document for Student List