In this tutorial you will learn about the C++ Introduction and its application with practical example.
The C++ (also read as C plus plus) is a general-purpose object oriented programming language developed by Bjarne Stroustrup at Bell Labs in early 1979. C++ is an enhanced version of the C language introduced with many new features, and is best known as super-set of C language. C++ is a multi-paradigm programming language that supports procedural, object-oriented (OOPs), and generic programming whereas C is a procedural programming language. C++ is a statically-typed, free-form, compiled middle-level programming language as it includes a combination of both high-level and low-level language features.
Usage/Applications of C++
C++ is the language which is can be used for variety of application developments that includes –
- Operating Systems
- Client-Server application
- Device drivers
- Embedded Systems
- Database Application/Drivers
- Real-Time Simulation and Monitoring Application
- 3D Graphics
- Distributed System
- Network Application
Object-Oriented Programming (OOPs)
C++ is based on object-oriented programming paradigm, it compliance with four of the major OOPs principles –
- The core library includes the data types, variables and literals, etc.
- The standard library includes the set of functions manipulating strings, files, etc.
- The Standard Template Library (STL) includes the set of methods manipulating a data structure.
Who is using C++
C++ is used in many of the large companies belonging to different sectors of the software industry such as Microsoft, Apple, Facebook, Google , Mozilla, Adobe and Amazon.
For example –
- Apple OS is written in C++
- Adobe Products like Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash are developed using C++
- C++ is used for development of all of the major web browsers including IE, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox.
Why to use C++
C++ is a very powerful, efficient yet very flexible programming language. C++ gives you lot of control and makes it easy to communicate with system resource such as memory, network, I/O and Processor. Therefore it is always a preferred choice for the development of high performance and efficient applications such as – computer game, realtime application, graphic libraries , system application.
Benefits of C++
- C++ is a multi-paradigm programming language that supports procedural, object-oriented (OOPs), and generic programming paradigm.
- C++ is a highly portable language that support multi-device, multi-platform application development.
- C++ allows writing a program irrespective of operating system as well as Hardware
- C++ is an object-oriented programming language that supports concepts of classes, inheritance, polymorphism, data abstraction and encapsulation.
- C++ comes with a rich function library.
- C++ supports exception handling which is not possible in C.
- C++ is a powerful, efficient and fast language.
- C++ supports development of a wide range of applications that includes development of operating systems, system drivers, browsers, games, 3d graphics, real-time applications.
- C++ provide performance and memory efficiency.
- C++ provides a high-level abstraction.
- C++ is compatible with C.
- C++ comes with increased re-usability of code.